Sunday 2 March 2014

Powder snow in the Helvellyn Massif



We were in the car park at Greenside Mine by 08:50hrs.  By the time it took to get the the gear on the car park was full,  but at least the heavy sleet shower had stopped.


Catsycam looking wonderful under the cover of snow.


Round about now I'm wondering why I kept my fleece on under the cag.  I sure as hell am not going to stop and take the sack off.







Eventually we arrive at the hut.  In the distance the people who either set off earlier or overtook us on the way up are digging out the tow.




After some tea and sandwiches in the hut I start doing some runs "Way Out West. " There is 50 cm of powder on a firm base and even I can do some nice turns.


It's a good job I have my Aldi helmet on as the snow is so deep some of the pylons are almost buried and  I keep banging my head on the cable.


After picking up the rucksack from the hut and giving the camera to Dawne I head up one last time to ski down as far as possible.


Dawne photos me as I get lower trying to avoid the grass and rocks.  This is actually great fun and beats walking any day. 


A great day out with the Lake District Ski Club. http://www.ldscsnowski.co.uk/

We rounded off the day with some very strong coffee and a toasted teacake in Glenridding.



8 comments:

SolwayA said...

Nice day out -incredible accumulation of snow up there. Lovely pics as usual

afootinthehills said...

Great stuff Greg. We have metres and metres of snow in the Highlands with correspondingly high avalanche risk so we are probably Lake District bound soon.

There's nothing quite like skiing powder on a firm base is there?

Howellsey said...

Just back from skiing myself! Maybe I'll leave France alone next year and head off to the Lakes!

Greg said...

SolwayA. Don't often manage a day off when there's decent snow. West is best in summer but the eastern fells are best in winter, much more snow.

Greg said...

afoot, yes Scotland probably has much more reliable snow. Ours comes and goes quite quickly. Had a great day skiing last Easter at the Glen Coe ski area. Unfortunately someon died in an avalanche off piste on the same day.

Greg said...

Howellsey. I went to Les Arcs in Jan. I'm lucky if I catch 2 days a year in the lakes.

Becasue They're There said...

This year, my friend, I have not set a single foot in snow. Must be the global warming. But I'm glad to see you had a brilliant day in the Helvellyn range.
Aldi gear is great. Most of my cycling clobber was purchased at Aldi.
All the best, Alen

Greg said...

Thanks Alen. Yes I haven't managed to walk much this year as it has always been too windy or I have had other commitments.
Aldi is great, whilst the wife gets food I peruse the middle with all the tools and stuff.